My my, today I learnt that my tap water contains rocket fuel additive, dry cleaning solvent, an industrial degreaser, bromates associated with cancer and arsenic. Still, the government declares our water legally safe for consumption. It all boils down to outdated guidelines in the Safe Water Drinking Act. Since the rules implemented in the 80s, companies have been dumping more types of chemicals into the water.

Over the years, scientists have conducted continual testing of water sources nationally but their results have been lobbied against by economically motivated companies and strangely, ordinary civilians who think it's a sham to raise water rates.

In our home, we use a filter in the water dispenser. Though I wonder how much chemicals are removed. Yes, there is a bottled spring water option but I loathe having to spend extra money. I mean what's the point of paying for safe drinking water when all one can use for it is bathing and laundry? If you think about it, even washing dishes with tap water seem like a ticking time bomb.

On this track, how safe is drinking water in Singapore? I know we are always told it's one of the safest in the world but how safe is safe? What are the guidelines, what's filtered out, what's poured in? No one thinks to question and with perhaps 80%, 90% of the population subsisting on tap water, won't you want to know? It would be interesting, not to mention reassuring.
Labels: , | edit post
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.