I prefer to think of me as a romantic pursuing her love because a tai tai seems so wasteful and shallow. But the course of love never did run smooth. Reality is that I had to quit my job and leave my family and friends. I now spend my days pottering around the house, chatting online, updating this blog and of course, shopping. Does that make me a tai tai? If so, I am an entry level one because I have no mahjong kakis, haven't been to any manicures/pedicures and I just made my maiden trip to the mall alone, in a bus!

Question: What is the difference between a tai tai and a socialite?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialite Wiki states that a socialite (male or female) is a person of social prominence who spends significant resources entertaining and being entertained. And that young women may be debutantes prior to becoming a socialite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_tai Wiki defines tai tai as a wealthy man's wife who does not need to need to work for money or a privileged lady of means. I would interpret privileged lady as divorced, widowed or wealthy by inheritance. To qualify as a tai tai, one must have lots of leisure time, money and gossip.

Conclusion: So there is no difference except tai tai is a chinese term. Going by Wiki's definition, I definitely am not a tai tai. Kelly defines me as a woman of leisure. What a nice sounding term. I definitely have no complains about this downtime tho' I wish I had friends here for leisure time (mahjong, shopping and manicures) and gossip! I know this leisurely situation is not going to be a permanent so I am going to enjoy while I can. Maybe, just maybe, I do want to be a tai tai after all!

Question: What do you call a male tai tai?
A man-tai? Sounds like a cocktail. Hahaha! Anyone?
Labels: | edit post
0 Responses