Source

I wanted a chinese female for my first time. After looking through the list of dentists approved by my insurance company, there was only one candidate. I called to make an appointment and was told "Dr Carol Chen is very busy on Saturdays. But her husband can take you." Busy is a good sign. Husband of a busy dentist should be good. So I said ok.


The day started well enough. The dentist turned out to be an elderly Taiwanese who was absolutely delighted I spoke Mandarin. So he enthusiastically demonstrated flossing techniques and expounded on the merits of flossing and dangers of Periodontal disease, all in Mandarin to me. I haven't had a decent prolonged conversation in Mandarin after Verigy but I managed to nod at the right moments.


Once he finished his spiel, I was told to lie back for teeth cleaning. I don't know about you but my dentist in Singapore NEVER pushed the seat down until I am lying horizontal like a SIA Business class passenger. That would have been alright had not my dentist in trying to reach the back of my mouth, put his head so close that our noses touched and I could only see his lips. That's not all.


He NEVER once let me sit up to spit whatever plague and tar he was clearing from my teeth. When I motioned for him to stop and he realised I wanted to spit, he pushed the saliva sucking machine in my mouth and asked me to close and swallow. EWWW! Gross! But that's not all.


He was so intense on picking my teeth that he had my mouth open for a long long time. Long enough for my saliva to spill over and flow down my neck to my chest. Notice I said flow, not trickle. So I frantically felt about, trying to find the tissue he had given me earlier after taking my X-Ray. Meanwhile dentist was completely unaware of my plight. I didn't find the tissue cos it had fallen to the floor. When he was finally done, he saw the flooding and laughed. Dammit! How dare he! Then he proceeded to clean my chest (URGH!) with the bib he had put over me and NEVER replaced the bib. And guess what, that's not all.


Time to polish my teeth. Guess where he put the toothpaste.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
ON MY CHEST!
(If you guessed correctly, you should change dentist.)


I know I am flat chested and maybe he couldn't tell under the so wet, so crumpled and so thin bib where my boobs start. But as a rule of thumb, you NEVER put things on a patient's body! I couldn't say anything cos I was pinned down under his intense concentration, looming head, polishing tool and saliva sucking machine. I am not sure he was aware of what he was doing either. After all, his wife was walking in and out of the medicine room next to where I was.


In the end, I didn't give him a piece of my mind. He had a really kind and patient manner when we met. And throughout the whole procedure, it didn't strike me that he was chee ko pek, more like oblivious. After I went home, I ranted to Kelly and found out that American dentists have a better sense of hygiene than him. URGH! I don't know if I feel better or worse. But I am so not going back to him 6 months later.



*** Evelynn, Jaycee, are Taiwanese dentists like this???? I hope not for your sakes.
Labels: | edit post
0 Responses