Each time Chinese New Year rolls around, my cravings for pineapple tarts and bak kua will reach fever pitch. Alas, the LA Chinatown is no help. It wasn't until very very recently I found out that one can order Bak Kua online! Freshly made from New York somemore.



At the same time, I discovered a Bak Kua recipe and decided to try it out.

Step 1: Pour seasoning onto minced pork.


Step 2: Mix minced pork thoroughly with seasoning.


Step 3: Keep stirring until meat mixture becomes gluey.


Step 4: Spread the meat mixture onto a parchment-lined tray.


Step 5: Pop tray into oven.


Step 6: Half way there! Flip over to ensure even baking.


Step 7: Done!


Step 8: Tasting.


Oh my gawd! It really is the real deal! The charred flavour is lacking since I'm baking instead of grilling over a charcoal stove. Other than that, it's the hometown taste.

Which looks more appetizing? The one from the Asian supermarket or mine? One day I will order from the online store to compare taste and texture. But I''m sure nothing beats hot Bak Kua fresh from the oven!
2 Responses
  1. Adeline Woo Says:

    Wow.. looks like you are really in to cooking and baking now ah??!

    If you can master the recipe, you can go to Philippines and sell. Sure make money!


  2. tigger Says:

    wow, I am impressed!